An astonishing find in the middle of the Everglades, Ave Maria Catholic Church was inspired by the architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright and, despite its Gothic inspiration, was only dedicated in 2008.
Originally built for the Ave Maria University, it is now the Catholic parish church of a new city which is fast expanding with new housing developments spreading out from the centre.
The exterior design has a space-age feel, especially at the apse end, while the design of the soaring steel structure is derived from two chapels designed by E. Faye Jones, a pupil of Frank Lloyd Wright, and the joinery and lighting throughout is inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright and contains 14 Stations of the Cross from the 1920′s that were rescued from a church which was about to be demolished in Detroit and fit well within the architecture here. The crucifix above the sanctuary is lit so that there appear to be crosses on either side, reminiscent of the two criminals who were crucified at the same time.
A beautiful church and an amazing find in this location.