The Caminito, was built between 1901 and 1905 to move workers and materials between the El Chorro Falls and the Gaitanejo Falls on either side of Gaitanes Gorge. It was christened the Caminito del Rey, or King’s Pathway, after King Alfonso XIII walked along it in 1921 when he came to inaugurate the Conde del Guadalhorce dam, but latterly became known as Death Walkway due to its poor condition. Closed for many years, this narrow iron and wooden walkway is now to be restored, supporting the tourist economy in the area. Euronews reports that the Malaga provincial government has agreed to fund the 3.12 million euros repair project, which will try to respect the original design but add glass panels for visitors to see down into the gorge below.
Construction sounds challenging – apparently helicopters will be used and workers will have to hang from the gorge to undertake the repairs.