The new headquarters for the Lambeth Fire Brigade on Albert Embankment was opened on 21st July 1937 by King George V, in time for the much-needed services of the Fire Brigade during the Second World War. Today the site including the workshops at the rear is being redeveloped and the main building, which is now listed, is to house a new fire station and also the Fire Brigade Museum, which was previously in an old fire station in Southwark, but is in storage at the moment. On show in the Workshop in Lambeth is a “pop-up” museum which provides a short history of the London Fire Brigade with a particular focus on Lambeth, and also shows the proposals for the new Museum, which will add to the regeneration of this area with Damien Hirst’s Newport Street Gallery a couple of streets away and major new developments along the river front to Nine Elms with the new USA Embassy and all the redevelopment around there. This area of London is changing,
It seems a shame however, that, while we wait for the new permanent museum, the large empty workshop area could not show more of the historic fire engines which used to be displayed in the old museum building.