Portuguese artist Leonor Antunes (born 1972) has taken over the Marian Goodman Gallery in Soho, linking her work with the architecture of the spaces and also to other artists such as Mary Martin and Anni Albers and to the architects Alison and Peter Smithson.
On the ground floor, groups of slender leather sculptures curve and swirl round like calligraphy above the Portuguese cork floors, hanging between a metal screen which is split into several parts, and is based on a relief by the British artist Mary Martin. Upstairs, the screens are different, with their dimensions replicated the glass panels in one of the Smithsons’ buildings – their Upper Lawn Pavilion in Wiltshire built between 1959 and 1962 and the sculptures are rope rather than leather, but with the same effect.
In tune with the times, the electrical lighting in the gallery space has been turned off and, apart, from a few carefully-positioned architectural lights as part of the installation, full use is made of natural light, breaking all the conventions for gallery displays. Hooray – perhaps this may start a new trend for appropriate exhibitions during the summer months in galleries that have adequate natural light?